Westminster City Council Requires every HMO to be licensed by 30 August 2021

30/08/2021 00:00

If you own or manage a house in multiple occupation (HMO), you must have a license following an additional scheme, which takes effect 30 August 2021.

HMOs, multi-occupant homes rented out to three or more people who are not from the same family, include:

  • Flats and houses with more than one household, and three or more people who share facilities.
  • Certain buildings converted into self-contained flats (where more than a third of flats are occupied by tenants).

The additional licensing scheme runs for five years.

Applying for an HMO license

Applications are being accepted now on Westminster Council’s website at Houses in Multiple Occupation Enquiry· Customer Self-Service (westminster.gov.uk).

Westminster requires every HMO to be licensed to ensure all housing meets high standards of maintenance and safety. If you have questions about the scheme, or are not sure whether your property needs an HMO license, contact the council at hmo@westminster.gov.uk.

Your session will expire in xx.xx
Continue or Log Out