London Landlord Accreditation Scheme Accreditation and Training for Landlords and Agents Services
Administered by London Borough of Camden
Tenants' Portal

Halls of residence

University halls of residence provide accommodation specifically for students and are often located within or nearby the university campus. The accommodation is generally available during term-time, although some may be available for certain students for the full calendar year.

The different types of Halls

The type of accommodation in halls can vary. Some provide single rooms with shared bathrooms, kitchens and communal areas, others provide ensuite rooms with shared cooking and communal areas. Some halls also provide meals and a bed linen and cleaning service. Some provide studio flats.

The accommodation office at your university can give you information about what accommodation is available, how much it costs and how you can apply.


You will probably have to pay a deposit for accommodation in halls. This is to secure against any damage or rent arrears at the end of your agreement. You may also be charged an administration fee to cover the administration costs of booking a room. This is sometimes referred to as a booking fee and is often non-refundable.

Rent or fees for accommodation in halls of residence is often due at the start of each term, which coincides with student loan instalments. However, universities may offer other payment dates.

Bills, such as heating, lighting and water, are generally included in the price of the accommodation.

Students in halls of residence don't have to pay council tax.

Universities that provide halls of residence accommodation are also required to belong to a �code of standards�.

Other forms of accommodation

Apart from halls of residence, some universities also own houses and flats or some universities manage this type of accommodation on behalf of a private landlord.

If you rent this type of accommodation, the university is your landlord, and it is responsible for managing the accommodation and for doing repairs.

More information can be found here



Azad Ayub
Surrey Property Licensing
London Property Licensing
Landlord Vision

Your session will expire in xx.xx
Continue or Log Out